As many as 80 years now, the conventional underarm crutch has been the regular issued walking device for mobility ailments both temporary or permanent word wide. Very little has changed since their inception, apart from replacing the wood structure for a light weight aluminum. Yes, they have aided a mobility purpose, but by design continue to cause irritation and injury to tendons, soft tissue and nerves found under the armpits. Also, pressure loading on the hands and wrists can cause additional nerve and joint damage together calluses and blistering of the palms.
Forearm crutches by design do have some advantages over underarm crutches. They eliminate injury to tendons, soft tissue and nerves found underarm. However, by design they places a direct pressure load on the hands and wrists. This in turn can cause damage to palms, joints, nerves and tendons with limited use. Forearm crutches are commonly used throughout Europe for both short term and long term use. In the United States and Canada they are mostly used by individuals with long term disabilities.
The smartCRUTCH design utilises the benefits of the forearm crutch concept, while reducing or eradicating the direct forces on the hands and wrists. This is achieved by allowing the user to adjust the angle of the forearm platform, reducing or increasing the amount of weight load to the hands and wrists. Transferring the pressure to the forearm reduces or potentially eliminates injuries commonly found with the use of standard underarm or forearm crutches as stated to the left. smartCRUTCH also helps reduce fatigue, relieve stress and maintain a proper posture, paving the way for speedy and safe rehabilitation.
smartCRUTCH® Design Technology
- Maximizes comfort through even distribution on hands, wrists and forearms.
- Fully adjustable to meet personal comfort and mobility requirements.
- Enhances comfort and maximizes load displacement.
- Ergonomic Grips are offset 7° to ensure stability and comfort.
- Specifically designed left and right hand grips.
- Fully adjustable, modular design, User variation and customization.
- 3 point forearm length settings.
- Hourglass-shaped foot maximizes surface contact.
Conventional Axillary Crutches
- Pressure on axillar (armpit).
- Discomfort and Pain caused by excessive load bearing.
- Nerve Impingement or Damage.
- Wrist strain and inflammation.
- Damage to joints.
- Pressure on palms of hands.
- Excessive pressure causing blistering or callusing on the palms
- Requires the ability to grip.
- Use limitation.
- Not possible to use safely on sand, ice or grassy surfaces.
- Shock transmitted through the body with every step.
- No effective suspension mechanism to minimize the effect of jolts.
SmartCRUTCH™ offers you Comfort, Mobility and Durability that conventional forearm crutches can not.